Monday, October 22, 2012

Pamper My Mind

❧ Pamper My Mind ❧

This week I want to talk about all the tools I use to challenge myself and grow mentally.  So often we get caught up in the lull of everyday routine and forget how important it is to confront our thoughts your grow our intellect.  I know, I know - may seem like just another thing to add to your list of "to-do's" but the tips I am going to share in todays post have helped me expand my mind in ways I never thought possible.  In turn, these realizations have helped me deal with my day to day life in a more effective and serene manner.  So, it's really time well invested. 

So, keep an open mind and let's get it pampered! 



1. Volunteer-ism!

One of the most meaningful parts of my week is the volunteer work I do at Hunter College with their Jumpstart Program.  You can read more information about the program here. Giving back to my community and teaching young people life lessons is an incredible way to grow mentally and spiritually.  It keeps me grounded and I learn so much from the young people with whom I work.  


www.volunteermatch.org


To learn more about volunteer opportunities in your area, check out Volunteer Match.  They will help you find the right type of volunteer work for your location and interests. 

2. Read a Good Book 

Pampering your mind is all about giving reverence to those whom you respect.  There are so many wonderful books on spiritual and mental growth and I'd like to share with you some of my favorites here.  If you click on the picture below, it will link directly on where to purchase a copy for yourself.  Also, be sure to check out Audible.com to download them on your phone/iPod and listen to them on the go.  A great way to pamper your morning commute!  

http://www.amazon.com/Awakening-Loving-Kindness-Shambhala-Pocket-Classics/dp/1570622590/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350934689&sr=8-2&keywords=loving+kindness
  http://www.amazon.com/Law-Attraction-Basics-Teachings-Abraham/dp/1401917593/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350934726&sr=1-1&keywords=the+law+of+attraction  http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Spiritual-Laws-Success-Fulfillment/dp/1878424114/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350934772&sr=1-1&keywords=deepak+chopra


I also recently attended the Fashion Forward conference here in NYC and sat next to the author of Falling Apart in One Piece, Stacy Morrison.  It felt as if this book was written for me personally.  The eloquence that Stacy portrays in her writing is incredible and I identify to so much of her story.  Part of the reason I started Pamper My Style is to empower myself in this new, post-divorce, life.  Stacy explains her empowerment process and more in this touching memoir.  Pick up your copy today!  

http://www.amazon.com/Falling-Apart-One-Piece-Optimists/dp/1416595562/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350935005&sr=1-1&keywords=falling+apart+in+one+piece


3. Take a Class

Weather it's art, pottery, computers or theatre - find a local studio or school that is offering classes in something you find interesting and sign up!  I just started taking acting classes at John Pallota Studios and it has been a great addition to my routine.  I get to meet people who share my interests and learn about something great in the process.  

Not sure where to start your search?  If you don't live in NYC, it may seem intimidating to find what is offered. Check out your local community college, the Y or your local Chamber of Commerce!

4. Get Your Om On!


I was introduced to Yoga and meditation years ago and since I have started the practice, I can't speak too highly of its benefits.  When home in The Hamptons, I visit Ananda Yoga in Southampton.  They do a wonderful retreat every year and their intensive workshops keeps my practice fresh and fun.  


I also try to make it to a Yoga retreat once a year with Mary Angela Buffo, owner of Ananda Yoga.  This year we are off to Puerta Vallarta for Yoga, Sun, and all-around relaxation!  Learn more about the workshop here.  


Or check out Yoga Journal's events website to research yoga and retreats being offered by studios near you! 

As for meditation, a lot of yoga studios will either teach a meditation course or will be able to tell you where to find one.  I try to meditate for 5-10 minutes everyday, even if it's just in the shower.  Taking those few moments in your otherwise hectic day to center yourself and ask for guidance is an invaluable part of my routine.  



5. Write It Down

Sometimes just the simple act of getting words down on paper helps you see everything so much clearer.  When I am dealing with troubling things in life, or even to document my happiness I like to sit down and journal.  

But - there is a way to pamper your writing....of course!  

Get a notebook you REALLY love.  It will make the experience of putting pen to paper that much more enticing.  Leave the notebook by your bed, or in your nightstand and commit to jotting down the events of that day before bedtime.  

Here are some of my favorites:


Customizable Travel Journal from Etsy.com ($30.00)

Simple, Elegant and in my favorite color!  Available at  Time Traveler ($15.00)


Ok #PamperedProtges, that's all for today.  But, please keep in mind that I want to learn from you just as you learn from me.  So please, reach out and let me know your favorite ways to expand and explore to keep your mind fresh and growing!

Thanks for reading and don't forget to pamper yourselves! 

No comments:

Post a Comment